As we celebrate Universal Connectivity’s 24th anniversary, here are some fun phone facts:
- The first payphone was installed in Hartford CT in 1889 by Southern New England Telephone (SNET,) thanks to the innovation of Connecticut’s own William Gray
- At the turn of the last century, there were more than 2.2 million payphones in the U.S. There are now fewer than 100,000, and a fifth of those are in NYC
- To further support the notion of universal access to broadband communication services, NYC is now replacing phone booths with WiFi digital kiosks that have embedded computing tablets,
- USB charging ports, keypads for making phone calls, and large screens that display relevant information to passersby
- Since 1995, mobile phones have evolved from cumbersome brick-sized units to the hand-held alternative to the computer that most of us now consider our lifeline to the internet
- Universal Connectivity was founded on the Entrepreneurial Promise of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which allowed anyone to enter any communications business
- Just as telecommunications have evolved, so have the needs of our clients.
In addition to desk phones, you can now stay better connected with the UC-One desktop, tablet and mobile apps; send faxes from your computer; and utilize wireless 4G as your backup internet connectivity.
These are just a few of the offerings Universal Connectivity can tailor to your needs to help you Connect Better. We remain committed to our mission to enhance the growth and competitiveness of our clients with forward thinking, scalable communication solutions.
Universal Connectivity is a full-service Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) provider. We offer VoIP business phone solutions along with IP fax, teleconferencing and contact center platforms. We partner with Polycom and Cisco for IP desk and conference room phones. As “Your Link to Your World” we strive to work cooperatively to help your business be more efficient to scale and grow. Contact Universal Connectivity at 866-808-1412 for more information.